Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Effort matters, people. It doesn't take much.



So I know this is a bit late but I should probably talk about it now because it still makes me happy.


On Valentines Day Sarah and I stopped by my parent's house to say hello and because my dad said that he had something for us. So we get there and before my dad can give us what he has for us he tells us to look at this book that Stephanie had made for my brother, we "have to read it go read it, its really good", he says. It was cute, it was full of pictures of them and how they met and where they went and things that they did. And then at the end it talked about my parents and myself, a brother named "Aidan".

Now, keep in mind that this is the first person living in that household that has called me Aidan. I was glad that it was just me and Sarah left by the end of the book because I could not stop smiling like an idiot. Then he gave us the candy he bought for us and a card for me that said 'Aileen' on the envelope. To my surprise, however, the inside of the card said 'Dear A,' and went on to say that I am a great child and friend and did not use any pronouns or use the word daughter. Needless to say, I was pretty happy about that.




Then, the other night, Sharon came over after they had a quilt meeting and gave me my birthday present I hadn't gotten from her yet. It was a card, and the front of the envelope said Aidan. It was a Marvel superheroes card, which goes to show that she knows me and what I like. =D So that also felt pretty great. Then, Sarah and I are talking the next day and she says that Sharon was calling me 'Aidan' the other day and used male pronouns.

So, things are looking up. my mother is trying, which doesn't go unnoticed, but it's still kind of feels like too little too late. But I left a book and a pamphlet for them to read about transgender kids, parents, friends, etc. So hopefully my parents have been going over it.

Only time will tell, and I'm trying not to get my hopes up.