Monday, May 30, 2016

First shirtless summer and running a support group!

Sorry I know it's been awhile, but....

Guys I'm so excited. I got to wear a tank top all day yesterday, and it was fantastic. I need more tank tops.

Tank tops are underrated. Granted, I could have probably found a tank top that I could have worn with my binder but it would have been obvious that I was wearing one and that was what I was trying to avoid. I hated my body the way that it was while I was binding, and any excuse to try to hide that I was wearing it helped me feel more comfortable. Some people who bind are comfortable wearing a tank top with it and play it off well. I was not one of those people.

It means a lot to know that I can just pull on a tank top and feel comfortable about my upper body. I still want to lose weight and gain more muscle, but that's always been something I wanted - even before my transition.

But - shirtless...

That I could NOT do before surgery. The idea that I can just wear a vest to the Renaissance Faire, or lay on the beach in nothing but shorts is so exciting. I'm going to need tons and tons of sunblock but it's going to be so worth it.

Can't wait for my first day at the beach!


Work is going great, and as of last week I'm in charge of the PFLAG support group called "Transparency" for parents and loved ones that have transgender family members or friends and need support. I've been at the meetings a bunch of times now and it's been amazing. Now since the person who was running it before now has more on their plate, it seems like I'm going to be in charge of it going forward.

Check out the PFLAG website for more information - and join the mailing list for updates on meetings as well as a piece I'll be writing called "Transgender Ear Bender" which is an extension of what I talk about on here. I believe it's going to be a monthly piece - so you should join the list to check it out!

As always - feel free to email me at akircheim@gmail.com if there's anything specific you'd like me to talk about or touch on here, and it would be great to know what people want to hear about for the monthly PFLAG piece.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment