Friday, August 15, 2014

Leaps and Bounds of This Century...

As of October 8th, 2013 - Blue Cross Blue Shield Covers Gender Reassignment Surgery.

Guess who didn't know that? ..........................-_-

          *          *          *

So I was at work, and bored, and went on Google. As most of my generation is, I am a google master. I can find just about anything in less than 2 minutes. Seriously - there are a lot of us that have this power.

I found information that my insurance covers my full mastectomy surgery. I was wary, as this information was general about the company and it all depends on what group you are under. So I called them, and was told that it was covered. I asked about doctors I had in mind and they are, in fact, listed as in-network. I was excited, but still waiting for the other shoe to drop. I waited two days and just called again to get someone else on the phone. It's still covered and the Dr. I want to use is still in-network. WHAT?!

To think that less than a month ago I was CONVINCED that I would be paying COMPLETELY out of pocket - and now to know that I can use insurance.... saying "I can breathe easier" would be a huge understatement.

So please, if you are trans or know anyone who is trans - be sure to call your insurance company and see if they can help at all with payment. I am lucky enough (and by that I mean I pay quite a bit monthly to insurance) to have a reasonable deductible.

And the doctor is in MA instead of FL so we just have to drive, not fly.

If anyone has any questions for me about anything - me, trans questions in general, life questions, advice, surgery, who I'm looking to go to, prices - I have done a bit of research. So feel free to email me and I will do my best to help you!

My personal email is: Akircheim@gmail.com

Here's hoping that it all works out and I will keep you posted.

SO EXCITING!!!